I'm certainly having fun with all my new toys. I've been assembling my stamp sets as I use them, and the one on tap today is Artistically Asian, again, a stamp set I had my eye on from the beginning. I love Asian design, and all the elements in this stamp set are great for clean and simple right up to collage stamping. And then there's bamboo! What a great image for sophisticated design!
As You See It Challenges presents an interesting sketch challenge this week:
I was a bit stumped by the vertical pieces, as I haven't ordered any new washi tape yet and ribbons were too boring. So it was either DSP or my own creations.
I decided to do some collage stamping with watercolour features and then cut that into strips to use on a Basic Black background.
- My colour palette was Cucumber Crush, Emerald Envy, Bermuda Bay, Basic Black and Gold, which works as a kind of Asian jungle look. I like the touch of gold which adds a degree of elegance.
- I ended up with 6 bars instead of 5 because of the width (1/2") I cut my panels. Not sure if that was the right thing to do, but I needed to fill up more of the space and I didn't want to start my watercolouring all over in order to make wider panels.
- I started by spritzing my Shimmery White cardstock (a good choice for any watercolour effects) with water and stamping some of the foliage on it, also spritzing my stamp after inking it up. It leaves a very runny watery splotch of colour, which I then dried with my Heat Tool, which also helps the paper not to warp.
- I then stamped the images again on damp cardstock, but not spritzing the stamp. This gave a more defined image. These again were dried with the Heat Tool. Finally I added the images full strength without using any water, and using some Basic Black Archival ink for some bamboo and some Japanese characters.
- The final step was to emboss some of the characters in Gold Stampin' Emboss Powder and then cut the paper into 1/2" strips. I added them to the Basic Black card base, varying the lengths and trimming them at the top.
- The sentiment is also from Artistically Asian - it has some great ones! It's stamped on Whisper White with a couple of images added to the background by stamping each off first. It is die cut with the Project Life Cards and Labels framelits. I made the backing from a Gold Foil Sheet. It's just cut 1/8" larger on all sides with the Stampin' Trimmer, and then the corners cut by hand following the curves of the die cut sentiment.
I'm having my Annual Catalogue Launch tomorrow afternoon from 1 - 3 pm, which consists of looks at the new products and In Colours, my Rubber Rummage Sale, games and great door prizes, and, of course, goodies to eat! I hope you can drop by for some fun.
Have a great weekend!
Click on the links below to take you to my On-Line Store, where you can read about, look at, and purchase if you wish, the products used to make this card today.