I had lots of inspiration for today's card. I needed a fancy fold card that we hadn't done before for my Technique Night classes this week. I also thought I'd play along with two challenges. The first is a sketch lay-out from Freshly Made Sketches:
The second is an Inspiration Banner from Just Add Ink:
I especially like this inspiration photo! Look at that rainbow macaron tower!! It almost looks too good to eat!
At our last team meeting, I saw a card made with overlapping shapes, coloured with Watercolour Pencils and blending two colours in the parts that overlapped. Even though the shapes aren't as simple, I decided to try this technique with the hot air balloons from the Lift Me Up stamp set. That's because I wanted to do a Pop-Up Spinner mechanism on the inside of the card and wanted it to be a hot air balloon that is spinning in the opening.
- Because of the overlapping, I didn't make any attempt at highlights in my colouring, but I think it would work and I might do it if I was going to do this card again.
- I used the Real Red, Pumpkin Pie, Daffodil Delight, Old Olive, Bermuda Bay, Pacific Point and Rich Razzleberry Watercolour pencils to get the rainbow effect.
- The balloons are stamped in Basic Black Archival ink. This particular stamp, even though it is a clear mount stamp, seems to be particularly troublesome when wanting to get full coverage when you stamp. I haven't quite figured out if that was intended or not, but I've found that to get complete coverage, get out your Stampin' Pierce Mat to stamp on. It makes a huge difference. If you still have issues, do a little touch up with your Basic Black Stampin' Right Marker.
- The sentiment is from Lift Me Up as well.
- The inside has a little mechanism that allows a floating balloon that can spin if you wind it up before closing the card. When you open the card it will spin on the Whisper White Baker's Twine going through the middle of the double image of the balloon, which was stamped twice and die cut with the Up & Away Thinlits, then adhered with the baker's twine right through the middle. You can attach the twine right to the front of the mountain fold on the Whisper White cardstock or you can attach a 1/2" strip top an bottom, 3" long scored at 1/2", 1 1/2", and 2 1/2". Add adhesive to the 2-1/2" flaps on the ends and attach to the back of the Whisper White cardstock then add the balloon on a string to the top and bottom strip. Make sure it is pulled tightly. I fastened it with Tear & Tape, but didn't remove the top film.
Click on the links below to take you to my On-Line Store, where you can read about, look at, and purchase if you wish, the products used to make this card today.