Well, I'm really going back to my stamping roots for today's sample! When I started stamping, I took up the hobby because I fell in love with the vintage style of cards that were all the rage back then. I thought that style might just be appropriate for my card today for two reasons. Reason one is because I am entering it in The Paper Player's current challenge, which just happens to be their 400th Challenge!! How amazing is that?? Here's the banner:
You can see that it is a theme challenge with Celebration as the theme, so I chose birthday as the celebration I was going to feature in my card. Reason two is that I just got a new Host Stamp Set with some of my Stampin' Rewards, called Very Vintage, and I wanted to take it out for a test stamp. So here is what I was able to throw together with it - sponged and distressed edges and all!
- The essence of the vintage style is muted colours, lots of sponging around the edges with Soft Suede or Crumb Cake ink, using Very Vanilla card stock instead of Whisper White, distressing and curling the edges, and choosing images that are realistic with a lot of hatch mark shading.
- The colours I chose to use were Mint Macaron and So Saffron along with Crumb Cake and Very Vanilla. They are very muted and work perfectly with this style.
- The background paper is from the Share What You Love Specialty DSP. It has the perfect qualities for vintage cards, small repetitive patterns, dulled neutral colour, almost monotone, and looks good when sponged with Soft Suede ink.
- I used the Hexagon Dynamic Embossing Folder to make the Honeycomb design in the background. I also sponged it to make the design show up better, and dull the colour a little more. I tore pieces from it to look like a piece of honeycomb torn from a hive.
- All the stamped images and the sentiment are from the Very Vintage. There are no matching dies, so I fussy cut the bees and the panel that the one bee is stamped in.
- I just happened to still have my old distressing tool that I used for all the edges of the panels on the card front.
- The pieces of ribbon are the 1/2" Lace Trim, also sponged with a bit of Soft Suede, and a short piece of Crumb Cake 3/8" Classic Weave Ribbon, and that about does it!
Join my team, get 10 FREE Ink Pads (worth $102.50) along with $165 worth of your choice of any Stampin' Up! products for only $135, no shipping free!
Click on the links below to take you to my On-Line Store, where you can read about, look at, and purchase if you wish, the products used to make this card today.