Here's the sketch for this week:
There doesn't look like a lot of room for interpretation with this sketch at first glance, but then I decided to get grungy and it opened up a whole world of uniqueness. Here's my take on the sketch:
- Of course, I used Gorgeous Grunge to get all my water marks and those great tire tracks! I'll never forget Pam Morgan at Convention this summer saying that you shouldn't use Gorgeous Grunge inked up in red, because it would look like a crime scene. I used Smoky Slate for some of the marks, and others I inked in VersaMark and embossed with Silver Stampin' Emboss Powder.
- I used Victoria Crochet Trim for the scalloped border on the sketch. I pleated it in parts and used my sewing machine to add it to the Very Vanilla panel.
- Did you know you can emboss almost anything? I added silver embossing powder to the button, the scallop circle, the embossed butterflies. I even silver embossed some linen thread to make antennae for the butterfly, but took it off because it looked too busy!
- The sentiment is from the Loving Thoughts stamp set and is stamped in StazOn here.
- I really like the subdued palette of So Saffron, Very Vanilla and Pool Party. It's perfect for a grunge look.
- I have quite a selection of butterflies among my stamps and punches and dies, but opted for the Beautiful Wings Embosslits. It die cuts and embosses at the same time and you get a total of five butterflies of various sizes and designs each time you run it through the Big Shot. I added VersaMark by lightly touching the pad to the raised embossing and the edges of the largest butterfly and covered it with Silver Stampin' Emboss Powder and heat set it with my heat tool.
Won't you try some grunge design? It's so much fun to play around with and allows you to be super creative. You can't live without the Gorgeous Grunge stamp set though! Leave me a comment about your work with grunge design. Do you like it? How have the projects turned out for you?
Stamps: Gorgeous Grunge (w130514; c130517); Loving Thoughts (w128436; c125845)
Paper: So Saffron (105118), Pool Party (122924) and Very Vanilla (101650) cardstock; Smoky Slate Textured 12" x 12" cardstock (132131)
Ink: StazOn Jet Black (101406); VersaMark (102283); Classic Stampin' Pads In Smoky Slate (131179)
Accessories: Victoria Crochet Trim (118481); Very Vintage Designer Buttons (129327); Silver Stampin' Emboss Powder (109131)
Tools: Heat Tool (129053); Beautiful Wings Embosslit (118138); Big Shot (113439); 2 3/8" Scallop Circle Punch (118874)
Beautiful Wings Embosslits
Gorgeous Grunge Stamp Set
Very Vintage Designer Buttons
Victoria Crochet Trim