I love neutrals, layers of things, sparkle and non-traditional Christmas designs, and so when I first saw the next challenge for As You See It Challenges, I dug around in my stash for the Go Wild Designer Series Paper Stack. In the process, I found the Winter Wonderland Designer Vellum Stack and the Lots of Joy stamp set, and all those images and colours whirled around in my head and then put themselves together with a definitely non-traditional Christmas card, but I think it's my favourite one of the season so far this year! Here's the sketch inspiration from Amanda at As You See It Challenges:
Do you ever have a little seed of satisfaction, that builds and blossoms as you are creating something you really love? It's a great feeling and I really needed that to happen today, as I've been feeling down and without inspiration a lot lately. But every once in a while, you create just for the joy of it, instead of for a specific class or blog post, and it renews your love of your craft. Just wonderful timing today, so thanks, Amanda!
- Knowing that I would be using the Go Wild Designer Series Paper Stack, I got out my Sahara Sand cardstock for the card base and the Basic Black cardstock for the next layer. Then I spied the Winter Wonderland Designer Vellum Stack and found the over lay that you see. As soon as I layered it over the Basic Black, I knew what I wanted to do with this sketch.
- It was tricky to adhere the vellum because the little snow dots are so small, you can't really hide adhesive under it and everything shows up on the black background. But I discovered a new trick: I added the tiniest dot of Liquid Multipurpose Glue to the black cardstock in the corners and used my finger to spread it out, almost rubbing it all off. This made the cardstock tacky, but with no concentration of glue to show through. I added some larger dots of adhesive where the Gold Glimmer Paper stars would go as well, to really adhere it well.
- After that I pulled out all the ribbon that would work with these colours: the Gold Satin Ribbon, the Basic Black Stitched Satin Ribbon, the Venetian Crochet Trim and the Sahara Sand Lace Trim and then I layered the heck out of them!!
- Although I was going to use the Go Wild paper as a background, I ended up only using it as the little flags under the sentiment. My favourite part of this design? The Basic Black plaid tree stamped on some Sahara Sand cardstock and punched out with the Tree Punch!
- Finally, the sentiment, from Lots of Joy stamp set, is embossed with Gold Stampin' Emboss Powder on Whisper White and die cut using the Lots of Labels Framelit Dies.
Let's talk Christmas! Now is the time to be shopping for your crafty friends! If you leave it until December you will be cutting it close for delivery in time for Christmas! There are so many options with Stampin' Up! and I will be highlighting a few during November. Keep in mind that these would also make a great gift for yourself as well. Add them to your wish list and send me a copy and give my contact info to your hubby, children or extended family to give them ideas for you. I can manage the wish list for you to be certain that there are no repeats.
My first suggestion is a Stampin' Up! Kit. They are a great value and generally have most things you need to create beautiful projects. (For some, you may need a coordinating stamp set or some inks.) Here are some of the great kits in the Annual and Holiday Catalogues (just click on the links to take you to my online store where you can purchase these anytime):
and my best suggestion is:
Watercolour Wishes Card Kit, which is all inclusive:
And then there is always a Gift Certificate, which you can purchase from me in any amount and they can redeem it through me.
I hope those are helpful suggestions! Have a great weekend!
Click on the links below to take you to my On-Line Store, where you can read about, look at, and purchase if you wish, the products used to make this card today!